Muhammad Ittefaq, Ph.D.
Phone: (207) 249-4359
University of Kansas (Lawrence, United States)
2022- Ph.D. in Journalism and Mass Communications
Technical University of Ilmenau (Ilmenau, Germany)
2018- M.S. in Media and Communication Science
University of the Punjab (Lahore, Pakistan)
2015- M.Sc. in Communication Studies
- Jamil, S., Iqbal, A., Ittefaq, M., & Kamboh, S.A. (2022). Building a media literate society: Pathways to improve media and information literacy education in Pakistan. Journalism and Mass Communication Educator, 1-15.
- Seo, H., Liu, Y., Ittefaq, M., Shayesteh, F., Kamanga, U. & Baines, A. (2022). International migrants and coronavirus disease 2019 vaccinations: Social Media, motivated information management, and vaccination willingness. Digital Health, 8(1), 1-11.
- Zhou, L., Ouyang, F., Li, Y., Zhan, J., Akhtar, N., & Ittefaq, M. (2022). Examining the Factors Influencing Tourists’ Destination : A Case of Nanhai Movie Theme Park in China. Sustainability, 14(18), 11419
- Ittefaq, M., Kamboh, S.A., Iqbal, A., Iftikhar, U., AAbwao, M., & Arif, R. (2022). Understanding Public Reactions to State Security Officials’ Suicide Cases in Online News Comments. Death Studies, 1-10.
- Baines, A., Seo, H., Ittefaq, M., Shayesteh, F., Kamanga, U., & Liu, Y. (2022). Race/ethnicity, online information and COVID-19 vaccination: Study of minority immigrants’ internet use for health-related information. Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, 1-20.
- Kamboh, S.A., Ittefaq, M., & Yousaf, M. (2022). Editorial journalism and environmental issues in the majority world. International Journal of Communication, 16, 2646-2668.
- Ittefaq, M., Seo, H., Abwao, M., & Baines, A. (2022). Social media use for health, cultural characteristics, and demographics: A survey of Pakistani millennials. Digital Health, 8, 1-12.
- Ittefaq, M., & Kamboh, S. A. (2022). COVID-19 and national images: the case of #ResignModi. Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, 18(1), 15-17.
- Ittefaq, M., Abwao, M., Baines, A., & Belmas, G., Kamboh, S.A., & Figueroa, E. (2022). A pandemic of hate: Social representations of COVID-19 in the media. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy, 22(1), 225-252.
- Baines, A., Ittefaq, M., & Abwao, M. (2022). Social media for social support: A study of international graduate students in the U.S. Journal of International Students, 12(2).
- Kamboh, S.A., Ittefaq, M., & Sahi, A. (2021). Journalistic routines as factors promoting COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy in Pakistan. Third World Quarterly, 43(1), 278-287.
- Shah, S.F.A., Ginossar, T., & Ittefaq, M. (2021). “We always report under pressure”: Professionalism and journalistic identity among regional journalists in a conflict zone. Journalism.
- Ittefaq, M., Abwao, M., & Kamboh, S.A. (2021). COVID-19 vaccine selfie: Why does it matter? American Journal of Health Education, 52(6), 360-363.
- Ejaz, W., Ittefaq, M., & Arif, M. (2021). Understanding influences, misinformation, and fact-checking concerning climate-change journalism in Pakistan. Journalism Practice, 16(2-3), 404-424.
- Ittefaq, M., Kamboh, S.A., & Abwao, M. (2021). COVID-19 vaccine selfie: A modest endeavor to increase vaccine acceptance. Psychology & Health.
- Ittefaq, M., Ejaz, W., Jamil, S., Iqbal, A., & Arif, R. (2021). Discriminated in society and marginalized in media: Social representation of Christian sanitary workers in Pakistan. Journalism Practice.
- Ittefaq, M., Ejaz. W., Fahmy, S. F., & Sheikh, A. (2021). Converged journalism: Practices and influences in Pakistan. Media International Australia, 181(1), 167-182.
- Abwao, M., Ittefaq, M., Baines, A., & Liu, P. (2021). “The disabled community is still waiting for equality”: What do users have to say about sexual reproductive health of persons with disabilities in online news comments. Frontiers in Communication, 6.
- Ejaz, W., Ittefaq, M., Seo, H., & Naz, F. (2021). Factors associated with the belief in COVID-19 related conspiracy theories in Pakistan. Health, Risk, & Society, 23(3-4), 162-178.
- Ittefaq, M., Ahmed, Z.S., & Pantoja, Y.I.M. (2021). China’s Belt and Road Initiative and soft power in Pakistan: An examination of the local English-language press. Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, 1-14.
- Baines, A., Ittefaq, M., & Abwao, M. (2021). #Scamdemic, #Plandemic, or #Scaredemic: What Parler social media platform tells us about COVID-19 vaccine. Vaccines, 9(5), 421.
- Laeeq, M. L., Ittefaq, M., Pantoja, Y. I. M., Malik, A., & Raziq, M. M. (2021). Public engagement model to analyze digital diplomacy on Twitter: A social media analytics framework. International Journal of Communication, 15, 1741-1769.
- Ittefaq, M., Abwao, M., & Rafique, S. (2021). Polio vaccine misinformation on social media: Turning point in the fight against polio eradication in Pakistan. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, 17(8), 2575-2577.
- Ittefaq, M., Baines, A., Abwao, M., Shah, S.F.A., & Ramzan, T. (2020). “Does Pakistan still have polio cases?”: Exploring discussions on polio and polio vaccine in online news comments in Pakistan. Vaccine, 39(3), 480-486.
- Arafat, S.Y., Shoib, S., Marthoenis, M., Kar, K.S., Menon, V., Ittefaq, M., & Kabir, R. (2020). Media reporting of suicide in Muslim countries. Mental Health, Religion & Culture, 23(10), 941-944.
- Ittefaq, M., Hussain, S. A., & Fatima, M. (2020). COVID-19 and social-politics of medical misinformation on social media in Pakistan. Media Asia, 47(1-2), 75-80.
- Ejaz, W., & Ittefaq, M. (2020). Data for understanding trust in varied information sources, use of news media, and perception of misinformation regarding COVID-19 in Pakistan. Data in Brief, 32, 106091.
- Ittefaq, M. (2019). Digital diplomacy via social networks: A cross-national analysis of governmental usage of Facebook and Twitter for digital engagement. Journal of Contemporary Eastern Asia, 18(1), 49-69.
- Ahmad, T., Alvi, A., & Ittefaq, M. (2019). The use of social media on political participation among university students: An analysis of survey results from rural Pakistan. SAGE Open, 9(3), 1-9.
- Kamboh, S. A., & Ittefaq, M. (2019). Newspaper suicide reporting in a Muslim country: Analysis of violations and compliance with international guidelines. Journal of Media Ethics, 34(1), 2-14.
- Ittefaq, M. (2019). Revisiting news value theory in the age of globalization. Journal of Media Studies, 33(2), 81-100.
- Ittefaq, M., & Iqbal, A. (2018). Digitization of the health sector in Pakistan: challenges and opportunities to online health communication: A case study of MARHAM social and mobile media. Digital Health, 4.
- Ittefaq, M., & Ahmad, T. (2018). Representation of Islam And Muslims on social media: A discourse analysis of Facebook. Journal of Media Critiques [JMC], 4(13),39-52.
Honors and Awards
I have received a number of awards for my studies. They include:
- 2022: Mugur V. and Anca Geana Research Award from William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications
- 2021: Carolyn Stroman Award from AEJMC’s Minorities & Communication Division.
- 2021: AEJMC’s ComSHER Graduate Student Comp Conference Registration Award 2021.
- 2020-2021: KU William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications Most Productive Researcher Award.
- 2020-2021: KU William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications Robert P. Sigman Family Scholarship.
- 2019-2020: KU William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications Scholarship Award.
- 2018: Society of Professional Journalists Dori Maynard Diversity Fellowship, Funded by Sigma Delta Chi Foundation.
- 2018: Exchange Program for Regional Integration in East Asia and Europe (EPRIE) in Poland, Belgium, & Germany, Funded by Robert Bosch Stiftung and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung.
- 2017-2018: Deutschlandstipendium (Germany Scholarship) holder for MS Media and Communication Science, Technical University Ilmenau, Germany.
- 2014: Summer School Exchange Program, Funded by DAAD, Erfurt University Germany.